JENNIE AZOFEIFA ~ LMFT LIC. # 100496
My name is Jennie, and I am a psychotherapist in North County San Diego. I view my role as one of collaborator, guide, and facilitator of change. I am an active therapist - I like to get right in there with my clients and identify the root causes of pain and distress and how it impacts their daily lives. Together my clients and I set specific goals and dream about what life will look like when therapy is done. Then, I accompany my clients each step of the way as we do the deep work of transformation.
I am a Certified EMDR therapist. EMDR is a powerhouse modality that targets painful memories and allows them to be reintegrated in a way that provides lasting relief and healing. EMDR incorporates some of the best elements of attachment theory and neuro-science principles along with long-established cognitive-behavioral, emotionally-focused, and somatic therapies. Within the EMDR framework, I utilize ego-state therapy. EMDR is a go-to treatment for trauma and PTSD. (For more information on EMDR, click here.)
I am also certified in Restoration Therapy, a modality that illuminates core beliefs about self and provides tangible, concrete steps toward healing. I find RT to be a wonderful complement to EMDR.
I have extensive training in pastoral counseling and spiritual formation. Many of my clients struggle with the intersection of spirituality and suffering, and I love to integrate these two areas during my sessions.
My specialties are trauma, anxiety, depression, self-esteem, relationship, and spiritual issues. I work with adults 18 years of age and older.
I am currently offering both in-person/in-office sessions (with extra safety precautions due to COVID-19) as well as Telehealth video sessions. That means I can meet with anyone in the state of California.
I love to travel, and I lived in Costa Rica (aka Paradise!) for a number of years. This season of life ignited in me a passion for cultural sensitivity and awareness that I seek to bring into my therapy office.
I am married and have two children. I love to kayak, read, bake bread, play guitar, and spend time with my beloved ones.
Education and Licenses
• CA Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist, #100496
• Master of Arts in Counseling Psychology, National University, San Diego, CA, Dec 2012
• Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling & Spiritual Formation, Columbia International University, Columbia, SC, Dec 2009
• EMDR Certified Therapist with EMDR International Association, Jan 2020
• Level 2 Certification in Restoration Therapy, May 2017
Selected Ongoing Trainings
• The Dance of Attachment: An EMDR Relational Approach - Deany Laliotis, LICSW, Mar 2021
• Healing the Wounds of Attachment and Rebuilding Self - Deany Laliotis, LICSW, Nov 2020
• Internal Family Systems (IFS) for Trauma, Anxiety, Depression, Addiction & More -
Richard Schwartz, PhD & Frank Anderson, PhD, Oct 2020
• Healing the Heart of Complex Trauma and Dissociation with EMDR and Ego State Therapy
- Carol Forgash, LCSW, Sept 2020
• EMDR In Action: A Step-By-Step Master Class - Deany Laliotis, LICSW, Apr 2020
• An Integrative Neurodevelopmental Approach to the Treatment of Addictions Within an
EMDR Framework - Susan Brown, LCSW, Nov 2018
• High-Speed Treatment of Depression and Anxiety Disorders - David Burns, MD, Aug 2018
• Mindsight, Attachment and Clinical Integration - Dan Siegel, MD, Oct 2017
• Restoration Therapy Conference - Terry Hargrave, PhD, Oct 2016